Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Are Grapes Poisonous & Toxic? Good or Bad?

Can Dogs Eat Grapes Poisoning

According to a recent study, researchers found out that grapes are among one of the fruits that upon consumption can lead to kidney damage in dogs. The report also revealed that the number of grapes eating related poisonings.


Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Are They Poisoning or Toxic?

The simple answer, No! Dogs can catch poisoning from ingesting both seeded and seedless grapes of all commercial, homegrown, organic and non-organic varieties. In addition to that, the foods that have grapes as an ingredient also run the risk of causing toxicity.


As far as the quantity that could be toxic is concerned, unfortunately there is defined dosage for it. However, poisoning related to eating grapes is usually because of the following two reasons.


  1. The dogs who ingest a large amount of the fruit.
  2. The dogs who have related sensitivities or allergies.


Sometimes, the dogs are strong enough to tolerate small amounts of grapes without any complications, while some dogs may fall sick by consuming a few grapes. There is no certain way to predict how a dog might react to consuming grapes.


Are Grapes Good or Bad for Dogs?

Are Grapes Good or Bad for Dogs

Grapes are excellent sources of a number of nutrients for humans, however it is not the same case when it comes to dogs. It is also yet to be determined by grapes are poisonous for dogs. Some researchers attribute the toxicity to the presence of mycotoxin and salicylate in grapes, although it is confirmed. This makes any exposure to these fruits seriously concerning.

Grapes are extremely harmful for dogs. If your dog has eaten grapes, regardless of the quantity, you need to take your dog to the vet to screen for any toxicity brewing in the system. Poisoning associated with the consumption of grapes should not be taken lightly as majority of factors associated with problem are unknown.

If it is determined at an earlier stage, you can save your dog from serious health complications. If your dog has eaten grapes in large amount then after having a strong idea of inducing a dog vomit, it can help somehow but it is always suggested to contact vet in such serious cases


Symptoms of Grape Poisoning:

The signs of grape poisoning start to appear within a day after the ingestion of the fruit. The most common one is vomiting, accompanied by loss of appetite, lethargy, diarrhea as the time goes by.  The serious symptoms start to appear after 2 days and usually the damage to the kidneys has already started. Acute kidney failure has different symptoms like loss of appetite, nausea, uremic breathing, excessive urination and thirst.


If the poisoning goes untreated, it will shut down the kidneys. The animal will stop producing urine as a result of it. It will also hike the blood pressure dramatically and the dog will end up in a coma. If the situation worsens to this point, and the kidneys completely shut down, and stop the production of urine, the prognosis is very poor.


Diagnose of Grape Poisoning

Often times, the signs of grape poisoning are confused with other causes of kidney failure due to their similar and nonspecific nature. The vet will have to base the diagnosis of toxicity on presumptive basis, after examining the contents of the vomit by the dog. If they find faces of grapes in it, it will be diagnosed as grape poisoning.


As far as determining the level of damage caused to the kidneys of the dog, they also run some diagnostic test like CBC and urinalysis. The outcome of these tests will assist in determining the likelihood of a dog’s recovery from this case of poisoning.


Treatment for Grape Poisoning in Dogs:

The main aim of treating toxicity caused by grape injection is to block and hinder the absorption of harmful toxins in the blood as well as prevention of damage caused to the kidneys. The ideal treatment is decontaminating the dog as soon as possible through self-induced vomiting and administering activated charcoal. It will stop the toxins from getting absorbed into the intestines and stomach.


The longer the grapes are present in the stomach of the dog, the harder it will be to reduce the toxic effects. This is why the decontamination process needs to be started immediately. Depending on the time, extra measures might be required to flush the absorbed toxins from the body of the dog and saving the kidneys. This can mean the difference between life and death for your dog.


You May Like:

15 Healthy & Best Fruits That Dogs Can Have to Eat – Good & Safe Foods

Raw Food Diet for Dogs – Can This Diet Keep Your Dog Healthy?

Toxic and Dangerous Foods Your Dog Should Not Eat

What Human & People Foods can Dog Eat? – 16 Safe Foods


Add Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.