Knowing and learning When & How to Make Your Dog Throw Up or Induce Vomit in Critical Emergencies is really important, same as a cup of coffee in the morning. If a puppy ate something poisonous & didn’t puke yet, that’s a serious case to be considered.
Inducing a dog to vomit or making him throw up in emergencies sometimes become very essential because dogs love to eat whatever they find interesting, and anything they can reach to. It can be human medicines, few human food that they should not eat (chocolates, raisins, grapes), wild plants, weed killer, chemicals to cleaning products and fertilizers just to name a few. But it can be dangerous to induce too, will talk about precautions later.
These things have a high tendency to make your dog really sick if not taken out, and in some cases, inducing a vomit becomes necessary. But, as a pet owner, you must learn when to and how to do so in emergencies, as, a minor negligence can cause him serious injuries. If you are sure your dog has eaten something that’s poisonous, you might want to make him throw up (barf) immediately to minimize the damage poison can make.
That is a fairly good idea, but make sure it’s before thirty minutes (30 mints). If it has been more than thirty minutes, then you better take your dog to a veterinarian or the emergency vet. Bu if it is before thirty minutes, you can make him throw up right away.
Before Starting, Have a Look on Below Points:
Verily, no doubt it’s a critical situation to induce vomit to your dog while it can also leads to something bad. Here are few things to mention. Please through it before taking any step.
- As a pet owner, you should not be making the decision to induce vomiting as there are MANY circumstances where this can put your dog in even more danger.
- If you suspect your dog has ingested something it shouldn’t have, take it to the vet. That is the only thing you should be doing.
- Remember though that in some cases inducing vomiting is contraindicated as the ingested product/item can cause more damage coming up again. It is always best to seek immediate veterinary advice should you believe that your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t have
But still there are some circumstances to note down. Read that too and if you think you’re ready to go with inducing vomit then do it but still it is the better option to call your vet.
I asked my few friends, what do you think of inducing a dog vomit? They replied me and I’m exactly pasting their words below.
A friend of mine said “referring to a vet is always good advice, but sometimes time is of the essence. I’ve had to induce vomiting several times, once for a dog that swallowed the glove at the end of a track, once for my little dog snatching up my big dogs thyroid med, once for a clients puppy that just ate a bowl of grapes, once for one of mine that ate a whole pound of peanuts that my husband left out”
Another friend said on this topic that “The “call the vet” dealie kinda depends on how trustworthy one’s vet is. I came home once to discover that a 50# dog had consumed probably 2# of (thankfully cheap!) chocolate… he was heaving his guts out after every (frequent) drink of water, and I am thinking it is a wonderful thing that he is horking up the chocolate… the advice of the only ER vet I could get on the phone was to pick up the water and bring him in to be given an injection to stop the vomiting… guessing that somebody’s boat payment was due, I stayed home and kept re-filling the water and trying to make it outside before the next expulsion of not-good-for-carpet. Having a vet you can actually TRUST to advise based on the animal’s best interest is invaluable.”
Before we describe you how to make your dog puke, let’s have a look what Dr. Justine A. Lee, a renowned Emergency Critical Care Veterinary Specialist and Toxicologist recommends in this case.
According to an article by Dr. Justine that published in Pet Health Network:
A Dog Should Only be Induced to Vomit at Home in the Following Circumstances:
- If he recently consumed a poisonous substance such as grapes, raisins or chocolates, etc. and your dog ate less than thirty minutes ago.
- If Your dog is asymptomatic, means your dog is not showing any signs of the poisoning at all
- Your dog is healthy and isn’t at risk for inhaling the vomit into his lungs (e.g., he doesn’t have previous medical problems like an abnormal airway [e.g., laryngeal paralysis, collapsing trachea, etc.], an abnormal esophagus [e.g., megaesophagus, etc.], or isn’t brachycephalic [e.g., he has a smooshed face and is more at risk for inhaling his vomit into his lungs. Brachycephalic breeds include the following: English bulldogs, Pekingese, Shih-Tzus, Pugs, etc.].
Remember, the only recommended product for dogs to induce vomiting at home is 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
A Dog Should Never Be Forced to Vomit With the Following Types of Poisons:
- Corrosive chemicals i.e., oven cleaners, drain cleaners, batteries, lime removal products, etc. – In this case, inducing vomit can cause more damage to the esophagus (the part of the alimentary canal which connects the throat to the stomach).
- Hydrocarbons or petroleum distillates such as, kerosene, gasoline, motor oil, etc.). These oily substances are easily inhaled into the lungs while vomiting, and cancauesevere aspiration pneumonia.
How to Make a Dog Throw Up or Induce Vomit?
Things Not To Do:
- Stuffing a finger down the dog’s throat. Avoid this silly practice if you’ve been doing it.
- Use of mustard.
- Use of salt – Avoid the use of salt to make your dog throw as it may cause a very elevated sodium level.
- Syrup of ipecac – It has profound side effects.
- 3% Hydrogen Peroxide.
- A large, needle-less syringe.
- Measuring teaspoon.
- Rubber gloves, some water, some paper towels, cleaning solution, and the plastic bags.
- Besides that, phone number for a veterinarian, ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435), or the Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680).
Step by Step Guide To Puking Dog:
Apply these steps if your dog has ingested poisonous substance as long as an hour ago. If it has been longer than that, call the vet and take an ‘expert advice,’ and follow the instructions. If not, follow these steps.
- Give something to eat to your dog if he hasn’t eaten in last two hours.
- Take 0-5-1ml Hydrogen Peroxide per pound of dog’s weight. Make sure the substance is fresh, bubbly and non-expired. So if your dog’s 50 pounds, you can give 25 to 50 ml of hydrogen peroxide to the animal.
- Remember, the extensive amount of hydrogen peroxide can cause blood vomits to your dog. So make sure you use the right amount.
- Take 25 ml of hydrogen peroxide into the syringe (needle-less) or the Turkey Baster.
- Hold the dog’s mouth higher in one hand, lift the lip and put the syringe in the corner of the mouth and inject it gently.
- You will notice some foaming in the dog’s mouth; that is when the peroxide starts to work.
- If the dog does not throw up in next fifteen minutes, give him the same dose again. If it does not vomit even now, you have the veterinarian’s number. Right?
Take a Sample –
- Once the dog has thrown up, collect the sample in a leak-proof plastic bag.
- Take it to veterinarian’s office for identification to make sure what exactly your dog had eaten.
Clean Up the Vomit –
- Wear rubber gloves while cleaning the puke, it might contain material that is perilous to human health.
- If necessary, take your dog to the veterinarian or the poison control center for a proper and immediate treatment.
How To Make Your Dog Vomit Without Hydrogen Peroxide?
Well, there are many reasons for which you might want to make your dog vomit and some prefer to make them throw up without hydrogen peroxide for some reasons or not having it at the moment of need.
For example, it may have taken something poisonous, or it might have eaten a bar of chocolate. Doggy hydrogen peroxide kits are also available that are used to make dogs vomit, but the issue is that they can have side effects.
In this article, you will know about three primary home remedies to make your sweet dog vomit.
Common Home Remedies:
Following are the most common home remedies that you can use.
- Mustard Seeds
- Baking Soda
How to Use Mustard Seeds?
The first recommendation in this regard is mustard seeds.
- This method is more efficient than the other two.
- It is highly recommended to contact your local vet and have his/her advice on your dog breed.
- If the vet allows it for your dog and considers the use of mustard as a safe treatment, then you can go ahead in doing so.
First mix a teaspoon of mustard in cold water. Then make your dog drink it.
It will soon start vomiting.
Don’t leave your dog alone and stay with it to keep this whole process calm.
Additional Vomiting Issue:
Well, the issue with this method is that there is no quick solution prevent your dog form vomiting additionally by the effect of this mustard solution.
That’s the reason many people head over to baking soda solution.
How to Use Baking Soda?
This is the most recommended solution in this regard.
A high-quality Food Grade baking soda is considered the best option.
- You need to get away your sweet dog with a teaspoon of baking soda per cup of water.
- Don’t make your dog drink the whole mixture at one.
- Let it take some sips until it starts vomiting.
However, the dosage will undoubtedly be changed from one dog breed to another. Stay with your dog during this whole process.
In this way, it will be easier for you to decide when to halt the symptoms.
Your dog will stop vomiting at its own, but if you need to speed up this process, you can get your dog drink a cold ginger tea.
How to Use Salt?
We do not recommend this method. The reason is that it can be highly toxic if the dog is given the wrong dosage. Using salt can also result in an increased heart rate for your dog.
Still, salt is the most common method that dog owners use to make their dog vomit. The salt dosage differs from one dog breed to another. That’s the reason we aren’t going to give any dosage recommendation in this article in this regard.
This is because of the dangers that you will have to face in case you give your dog a wrong dosage.
- You can use a cheap dog pill gun in this process.
- Load salt into the ends of this dog pill gun and then place it in your dog’s mouth.
- The end of the gun will be at the back of your dog’s throat.
- Then activate the trigger to release the salt on your dog’s tongue.
- Massage your dog’s throat in a downward motion so that it may swallow it quickly.
If you love your dog, don’t take the risk!
You May Like to Read: